Monday, November 5, 2012

Six Week Check-Up

Today was my six week check-up.  I can't believe I am two days away from having a six week old baby boy. Time has really flown by quickly around here.  I am sure my house being under reconstruction, Halloween, PTA stuff, and having two very rambunctious older boys has nothing to do with it. HA!

Today was tough.  Going in to see Dr. L. with my live baby should have been great!  But it really was a culmination of the past three years.  As a matter of fact, it was three years ago this week that I called to schedule an appointment because we were having trouble conceiving.  They weren't going to get us in until February.  We conceived Lucas and Caleb in December. 

Anyway, so many emotions have happened in that office.  There are so many memories that flood me every time I step off that elevator.  And I people watch now when I sit in the waiting room.  I notice those who just saw their baby for the first time.  I quietly pray for those who are waiting for their 10-12 week ultrasound. I keep to myself, and panicked today when Simon began to fuss.  What if someone is in there who can't get pregnant?  Or someone who has loss a baby(ies) and is hoping for some good news? 

I was in Room 36 today.  The memories of that room...It is where they took my staples out after my c-section with Lucas and Caleb.  I cried so much with my nurse and doctor that day.  I didn't want to be there at all.  There was so much pain.  And there are no pictures of babies in that room.  I wonder if it's done on purpose.  I was in there again four weeks later for my post-op appointment.  Dr L. crushed me when she said I had to wait six months before getting pregnant again.

I was in there in June of 2011 when I was still not pregnant and was really hoping my next visit would be because we were expecting again.  I didn't want to be there for some regular annual exam.  And the next time I was in that room was for my 24 week appointment with Simon.  Viability and past the point where we were when Lucas and Caleb were delivered.  Dr L. and I celebrated that day.

Then I was in there the day we scheduled the c-section for Simon.  We decided to wait one day past my due date.  I was nervous and anxious about that.  Dr L. said it was completely up to me, but that she really didn't want to cheat me out of 48 hours to try and go into labor on my own.  She wanted me to VBAC, as did I. 

Then today.  I was in there, with my living and very much awake baby boy.  The baby boy who spit up on me just five minutes prior in the waiting room.  The tears today were happy ones, ones of relief.  We all survived the past three years, and we did it together.

I won't go back until February.  This makes me sad.  I love my doctor and my nurse.  We have been through so much together, and to not see them for so long is a little tough to think about.  I've come to enjoy the chats with each of them.  And they have been such a large part of our lives, I'm really going to miss them.

But at least there is a very happy ending to this chapter, and everything looks great. For that I am eternally grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...