Monday, January 31, 2011

Worth the Wait

"A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though (s)he thinks you are slightly cracked." Bernard Meltzer
How true, how true.
Back in June, after Lucas and Caleb were born, I found the TTTS Foundation facebook page and scrolled down for what seemed like forever for someone who had also recently lost their twins. I found Rhonda! I sent her a message, reaching out for support. Three days later, she sent me so much love and support, I just knew she would be the one to help pull me through this. Rhonda lost her girls, Zoe and Anna on March 29th. She is only two months ahead of me on this journey and she's been where I am, and is where I am going.
We talked about a week later on the phone for over 2 hours. Those first conversations were 90% about our lost babies. We would just cry together on the phone. Then our conversations were more about our surviving children, our husbands, and everyday stuff. Now we have many phone conversations where we don't even mention our babies. And that is good.
Rhonda lives in CO, 14 hours from Springfield. She has family in KS and we have discussed meeting each other one day when she comes to visit. Kansas City is only 3 hours from here. Well, her September trip fell through, but she planned one for January. I cleared my calendar for this past weekend and planned to go up and meet her.
And it was AMAZING! I felt like I was in college again, hanging out with a long lost sister. There really aren't enough words to describe the time I had up there.


We shopped all day. We would try on shirts, put most back, pick out more, then buy some here and there. We hit up some fabulous boutiques in Overland Park. She brought out a fun side of me that has been hiding for some time. I felt carefree and really happy. Let's not forget these fantabulous cupcakes full of chocolaty goodness! And we ate at this superb topas restaurant....at 9:30! It was just great. Although I still feel bad for pooping out after dinner and deciding it was best if we went back to the apartment instead of going dancing. But check out this outfit...
We looked crazy HOT!

Even though I hate that we both lost our precious twins, I am ever so grateful to have this wonderful woman in my life. She is one who truly knows how I feel and offers great advice in the many different and difficult decisions I have to make on this journey. When I found her, I wanted to find someone who, even though missed her babies dearly, still concentrated on the awesome family she still had and was able to embrace it all. She is truly beautiful inside and out.

And this trip was worth waiting 7 months for. I can't wait to see her again and to get our kiddos together next time.

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got the chance to get away - and you look Smokin' !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great Carrie! Friends like that are a real treasure!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...